Chocolate, hearts, and acts of kindness. That’s what I think of when I think of Valentine’s Day surprises for my loved ones. I will be spending Valentine’s Day apart from my husband this year, but that doesn’t mean I can’t celebrate! Because after all, I love myself and Valentine’s Day is all about showing those you care about how much you love them. And that includes yourself.
The recipe I used is actually one that my grandma sent me few years back, but I am just now getting around to making it. Better late than never! That being said, I did make a few modifications to the recipe to help make it my own.
This flourless cake is every chocolate lovers dream! It is lower in carbs and higher in fat than most other cakes, so it won’t give you that sugar buzz 5 minutes after eating it. That’s not to say you should eat more than a reasonable serving, because it still has quite a bit of fat in it and it does still have sugar. I also noticed that this cake filled me up more than a regular slice of cake would since it is higher in fat and lower in sugar.
This recipe was very interesting and it turned out better than I expected. I was surprised with how fluffy it turned out without flour and that it still had the structure of a cake…only a little flatter. It will definitely satisfy that chocolate craving that’s for sure!
Surprise your valentine this year with this filling, chocolatey cake recipe! I hope you enjoy!
Flourless Chocolate Cake
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 3/4 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cups sugar
- Dash of salt
- 6 eggs – separate the egg whites from the yolks
- Powdered sugar for topping
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Using the stick of butter, lightly butter a spring form pan.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt butter, shortening, and cocoa powder. Stir occasionally. Add the sugar and salt and stir until smooth. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites with a hand or standing mixer until stiff peaks form.
- In another bowl, mix egg yolks and stir into chocolate sauce mixture until combined. Then mix 1/3 of the egg whites into the chocolate sauce until combined.
- Pour the chocolate sauce into the remaining egg whites and fold until mostly combined. You will likely have some streaks of egg white showing.
- Pour into spring form pan and bake for 40-45 minutes until it no longer jiggles in the pan.
- Once done, let cool completely and then take out of pan. Dust with powder sugar and enjoy!!
*NOTE: You may also serve with whipped cream and berries!
HAPPY VALENTINES DAY! ❤