Warmer weather, longer days, and trips to the lake are what I love most about summer time. I also love that blueberries are in season. One of my favorite things to do when I lived in Texas was going blueberry picking. Nothing tastes more delicious than a big, juicy blueberry picked right off the bush. Not only do blueberries taste great, they are also packed full of nutrients including:
- Carbohydrates – but they do not spike blood sugar levels, instead they gradually increase blood sugar levels.
- Vitamins C, K, and manganese
- Antioxidants – specifically anthocyanins, which are found in deep blue/purple colored fruits and vegetables
Blueberries have been linked with many health benefits. Studies have shown blueberry intake may lower blood pressure and LDL cholesterol levels. It also may decrease the risk of a heart attack! If that isn’t reason enough to eat blueberries, blueberry intake has also shown to improve memory in older adults and even reduce the aging of the brain. These little sweet delicacies pack a powerful health punch!
Enjoy your blueberries as a snack by themselves, mixed in with yogurt, tossed into a bowl of oatmeal or cereal for breakfast, or enjoy them as a dessert by making this to die for blueberry crisp!
- 2 cups frozen blueberries
- 2 Tbs rolled oats
- 2 Tbs steel cut oats
- 1 Tbs flour
- 1 Tbs brown sugar
- 2 tsp oil (or more-add until mixture is moist)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 6×6 baking dish (8×8 works too) with blueberries.
- In a separate bowl, mix together remaining ingredients and sprinkle on top of blueberries. Place in oven and bake for 30 minutes or until bubbly.
- Let sit for 5 minutes. Serve with a scoop of ice cream and enjoy!