Diabetes. A topic that is on most people’s minds, and with good reason. According to the American Diabetes Association, in 2015, 30.3 million Americans (~10% of the American population) had diabetes. To put that into perspective, for every 10 people you see, one of them has diabetes. 1.5 million individuals are diagnosed with diabetes each year, and 84.1 million Americans 18 years and older have prediabetes. One of the most important factors in controlling diabetes is your diet. Carbohydrates are the source behind elevated blood sugar levels, so it is important to monitor carbohydrate intake. One serving of carbohydrates is equal to 15 grams of carbohydrates. It is recommended that women have 3-4 carbohydrate servings at each meal and men have 5-6 carbohydrate servings at each meal.
There are many resources available today that have many clever recipes for carbohydrate controlled meals. French toast is a favorite breakfast of mine, however French toast has several carbohydrates in it. This modified recipe has a total of 2 carbohydrates (3.5 if you include the alcoholicless mimosa). Mimosas are a nice morning/brunch beverage, however it is loaded with carbohydrates. I removed the alcohol in this modified recipe to help lower the carbohydrates and still have the same great taste!
For the French toast I used homemade whole wheat bread (this was my first experience making homemade bread) to help increase the fiber content. Increased fiber allows your blood sugar to rise more gradually rather than spike because of the decreased absorption rate of the meal from the fiber. I also decreased the amount of sugar and added vanilla into the milk/egg mixture to enhance the sweetness without overloading the sugar content. And lastly, I topped my French toast with strawberry slices in place of syrup. The strawberries provide additional fiber and nutrients. Pair this recipe with a side of eggs to add a protein source to make this a complete meal! I hope you enjoy!
- 1 cup of skim milk
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp sugar
- 4 slices of bread
- Garnish with strawberry slices – or other fruit of choice.
- Lay 4 slices of bread out overnight. The next morning, mix together the milk, egg, vanilla, and sugar.
- Soak bread slices in milk/egg mixture for 1-2 minutes depending on the thickness of the bread – longer for thick slices and shorter for thin slices.
- While the bread is soaking, lightly spray a skillet with cooking spray and place on stove-top on medium/high heat.
- Once skillet is warmed and the bread slices are done soaking, place bread slices in skillet and cook on each side for 3-4 minutes – or until browned.
- When the French toast is done cooking, serve on plate and top with strawberry slices, or other fruit of choice, and enjoy!
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup lime flavored sparkling water
- Strawberry – or fruit of choice – for rim garnish
- Pour orange juice and sparkling water into glass. Cut a slit down the middle of the strawberry, place on glass rim, and enjoy!