So this week I wanted to put nutrition info aside and focus on a quick, easy family dinner. I know that our lives can be very hectic at times and it’s easy to want to go through the drive thru for a quick burger and fries. But it is possible to make a quick dinner for the family on those busy days where all you want to do is sit down. With that being said, some prep work the day before is needed for this recipe. I knew I was going to be having a busy week this week between work and class projects/midterms so I pre-chopped the onions and chicken the Sunday before. From the time I walked through the door to the time I sat down to eat was an hour…that includes taking the pets out, changing clothes, taking a quiz, discussion replies for class and making dinner. I thought that was pretty good timing! Here’s my go to recipe for a busy night! I hope you enjoy!
Chicken Enchiladas on the Quick
- Corn tortillas
- 1 19oz can of green enchilada sauce
- 1/2 medium diced onion
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken (if you have left over chicken freeze it and use it later!)
- 1 4.25 oz can green chilies
- 1 1/2 cup taco cheese
- The night before, chop onion and shred chicken, place in container in refrigerator until ready to use.
- When you’re ready to make the enchiladas, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a skillet, add a Tbs oil and sauté onions until translucent. Add chicken and garlic powder, cook until warm.
- Add chilies, 1/4 cup enchilada sauce, cream cheese, 1 cup taco cheese to the chicken mixture and cook until cream cheese is melted. This takes about 5 minutes.
- In a 9″ x 13″ casserole dish, add 1/4 cup enchilada sauce to cover the bottom.
- Now for the fun part! Fill the corn tortillas with the chicken mixture, roll, and place in pan seam side down. I found that not warming the tortillas before hand works best.
- Once dish is lined with enchiladas, cover with remaining enchiladas sauce and cheese. Place in oven and bake for 30 minutes. Once done serve and enjoy!!