Cookies, chips and queso, French onion dip, and mini sausages. These are what usually show up to those annual Christmas parties. I like to bring something with some veggies to the party like these mini phyllo cups. With tomatoes, basil, and mozzarella, these treats are packed full of antioxidants and calcium! Something about these snacks….so I recently moved to Minot, ND and went shopping for the ingredients for this recipe. I found the tomatoes, the mozzarella, and the balsamic vinegar no problem. It was the basil and phyllo cups that gave me some trouble. Nowhere in town had any fresh basil, but that was okay because I could just use dried basil. The phyllo cups on the other hand….I couldn’t find those anywhere either. Amazon was there to save the day with their two day shipping! I ordered my phyllo cups and got to work on my Christmas party appetizers as soon as they came in. Below is my recipe for this tasty appetizer…I hope that you are able to try it out this year at one of your Christmas parties. This appetizer is great for any other get togethers too! Enjoy!
Caprese Phyllo Cups
- 1 box mini phyllo cups – contains 15 cups
- 15 cherry or grape tomatoes
- 4 oz fresh mozzarella
- 4 basil leaves – or dried basil like I used
- 1/4 cup of balsamic vinegar – use 1/2 cup if wanting thicker sauce (see *NOTE below)
- Cut tomatoes into quarters, cut mozzarella into small pieces, and cut basil leaves into strips. Mix tomatoes, mozzarella, and basil together and portion into phyllo cups. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar.
*NOTE: For a thicker balsamic vinegar, bring 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar to a boil in a saucepan and simmer for 3-5 minutes, or until vinegar is reduced by half.