Okay, I know that the first day of fall was technically September 22 but it’s hard to get in the fall spirit down here in Texas when the weather is still in the 90’s. It’s now October and this Texas heat isn’t going to stop me from enjoying my annual pumpkin spice everything obsession. To start things off this month, I thought I would hit the most popular pumpkin spice item out there. The Pumpkin Spice Latte. These bad boys rolled out for fall about a month ago and everyone began flocking to the coffee shops to get their annual PSL fix. Those PSL’s at your coffee shop of choice, however, come packed full of calories, fat, and sugar. An 8oz serving may have anywhere between 200-250 calories, 8-10 grams of fat, and 26-35 grams of sugar. This is for 8oz, most of us do not order an 8oz serving, we normally order a tall (12oz) or a grande (16oz) so we can realistically double those numbers.
This does not mean that our days of ordering PSL should be over! These tasty drinks are very simple to make and they come with half the calories and also are easier on the wallet. The PSL recipe below is for a 10oz serving and only has 115 calories, 3 grams of fat, and 12 grams of sugar. It took me about 5-10 minutes to whip up, the same amount of time if not less than it would take to wait in line at the coffee shop.
Pumpkin Spice Latte
Makes 1 serving
- 1 cup of milk (I used 1%)
- 1 Tbs pumpkin puree
- Stevia (sweeten to taste – I used ~10 drops of liquid Stevia)
- 1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup of coffee
- Begin brewing coffee. While coffee is brewing, in a sauce pan, mix together the milk, pumpkin puree, and Stevia. On medium heat, heat the milk mixture until hot stirring constantly – make sure it does not boil. This takes about 5 minutes.
- Once milk mixture is hot, take the sauce pan off of the heat and add the pumpkin pie spice, vanilla extract, and coffee. Stir until combined.
- Pour into a coffee mug and enjoy!
**For an extra tasty treat, add whipped cream on top and sprinkle with a little extra pumpkin pie spice!!